Prof. Dr. Herbert Zech
Herbert Zech holds the Chair of Civil Law, Technology Law and IT Law at Humboldt University, Berlin, and is a Director at the Weizenbaum Institute for the Networked Society. After his habilitation in Bayreuth, he worked at the University of Basel from 2012, initially as an associate professor for private law with a focus on life sciences law, and from 2015 as a full professor for life sciences law and intellectual property law. In April 2019 he moved to Berlin. Herbert Zech also studied biology after his bar exam. He is particularly interested in the connection between natural sciences and law. His focus is on technology law, intellectual property and digitalization.
Committees and functions
- Professor at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Chair of Civil Law, Technology and IT Law
- Member of the Center for Intellectual Property Law Information & Technology (CIPLITEC)
- Board Member of Deutsche Gesellschaft für Recht und Informatik e. V. (DGRI)
- Member of the German-Italian Lawyers’ Association (DIJV)
- Member of the German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (GRUR), Chair of the Expert Committee for Data Law
- Member of Deutscher Juristentag e. V.
- Member of the European Intellectual Property Teachers' Network (EIPTN)
- Member of the European Law Institute (ELI)
- Member of Gesellschaft für Rechtsvergleichung e.V.
- Co-editor of Heymanns Schriften zum Patentrecht (HSP) (Heymann's writings on patent law)
- Member of the Swiss Association for Intellectual Property Law (INGRES)
- Member of Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Geistiges Eigentum der Universität Mannheim e. V. (IZG)
- Member of the International Association for the Advancement of Teaching and Research in Intellectual Property (ATRIP)
- Member of the Swiss Society for Liability and Insurance Law (SGHVR)
- Member of the inter-university graduate college “Recht der Informationsgesellschaft” (Law of the Information Society)
- Co-editor of the Intellectual Property Journal (IPJ) / Zeitschrift für Geistiges Eigentum (ZGE)
- Member of Zivilrechtslehrervereinigung e. V. (ZLV)
Fields of research
Technology law, intellectual property law and digitalization